The Women of Achievement (WOA) Committee is excited to announce their upcoming event honoring some of Salina's most impactful leaders.
"The last in-person WOA event was back in 2018, due to the pandemic," said Event Chair, Lori Blake. "We're so excited to both raise money for the YW legacy fund, and also to bring back a fun event honoring talented, compassionate local women and their contributions to the betterment of the community. You may be surprised how these women have all contributed directly to your life through healthcare, education, volunteerism, economics, and more."
This year's event is being held November 2 from 5:30-7 pm at Theatre Salina. The evening will begin with a program honoring this year's honorees along with highlights of several YMCA Legacy Fund grant recipients. After the program, all attendees are invited to a reception in the lobby of Theatre Salina. All funds raised will go towards the Greater Salina Community Foundation's YWCA Legacy Fund.
The 2023 Honorees are:
- Education: Alysia Starkey
- Emerging Leader: Genell Heimer
- Personal Growth: Gilda Alvarez
- Service to Community: Karen Ebert
- Workplace: Linda Salem
- Lifetime Achievement: Julie Sager-Miller
Tickets for the event can be purchased online at woasalina.org. You may also mail a check to:
PO Box 1081
The Women of Achievement event was established in 1993 to publicly recognize and honor the contributions women make in our community.
In 2006, the YW Legacy Fund was established by the board members of the former Y
In 2006, the YW Legacy Fund was established by the board members of the former
YWCA with the intent to annually provide grants to individuals and organizations who strive to make Salina a better place for women and their families.
Today, WOA continues to honor and celebrate the work of women in our community as well as to continue to raise funds for the YW Legacy Fund which support initiatives that align with the mission of the former Salina YWCA and must address one or more of the following criteria:
- Encourage women's growth, leadership, and power in order to attain a common vision for peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all people
- Help children attain their greatest potential
- Create an environment to assist in the physical and mental health and well being of women and their families
- Pursue the elimination of racism wherever it exists